Public Houses of Old Brompton

Public House

Street

Number

(pre- & post 1880)

(pre- & post 1880)

 

Other info

Dates known to exist

Alton House*

High Street

20/39

Also sometimes called Alton Ale House.

>1848-1915

Anchor & Hope*

High Street

32/-

Pulled down 1872/3

>1786-1872

Anchor & Hope*

Middle Street

?

Seems to have been short lived as it does not appear in 1828/9 or 1838 directories.

>1832-1834<

Artillery/R.E. Canteen

Brompton Barracks

 

Probably started with barracks c.1806.

>1821-1880<

Black Horse/Rose & Crown/Army & Navy

River Row (Street)

?/3

Changed name in 1831 and 1861. Sometimes referred to as the Navy & Army.

>1754-c.1987

Bricklayers Arms

High Street

8/17

At 8 High St in 1862 Closed in 1896

>1825-1896 

Bright Star*

Westcourt Street

?

Mentioned in the Chatham News. Not Licensed by 1870

>1869-1870

British Flag/Royal Engineer*

High Street

?

Licence may have been combined with the Royal Engineer, Wood St in 1861

>1861

Brumpton Coffee House

?

 

First licensed in 1757, in Chatham North Borough.

1757-1763<

Cannon*

Garden Street

15/3

 

>1851-Present

Dewdrop Inn*

Wood Street

36/21

Closed 2/3/1956 and moved to Twydall

1869-1956

Dock Tap House

?

 

May have been in Dockyard or on Dock Road; Chatham North Borough. Closed by order of Navy Board

>1821-1832

Dock Yard

Middle Street

?/11

“Sign of the Chatham Dockyard” c. 1747-1783 or beyond, Dockyard Hotel after 1858. Closed 29 Dec 1917

>1747-1917

Dockyard Tavern*

Wood Street

13/-

Gone by 1870

>1869

Dolphin

High Street

43/28

 

>1754-1896

Duke of Cambridge/Edinburgh Castle*

Manor Street

18/11

Known as the Duke of Cambridge in 1865-6, had become the Edinburgh Castle by 1871.

>1865-1905

Duke of Wellington

Wood Street

6/54

At 6 Upper Wood Street in 1862 & 1874. Opened in 1848, licence transferred from Ferry House. Moved to Magpie Hall Road Chatham 22/5/39

1848-1939

Duke of York

Westcourt Street

6/9

 

>1826-1911

East India Arms*

Wood Street

 

Short lived beer-house, probably gone before 1847

>1840<

Ferry House

Ferry Road (Just north of Dockyard Mast Ponds)

 

Closed by the Admiralty for public purpose, licence transferred to Duke of Wellington

1840-1848

Foresters Arms*

Manor Street

?/10

 

>1869-1958

Fortune of War*

Wood Street

45?/-

Not Licensed by 1872

>1851-1867<

Golden Lion

High Street

48/18

 

c.1703-c.2000

Good Intent*

Westcourt Street

1/1

 

>1851-1916

Grasshopper*

Middle Street

23/26

 

>1851-1915

Harrow/Lord Napier

Manor Street

37/26

Changes name to Lord Napier 1873/4

>1805-1935

Highlander/Crown*

Wood Street

1-2/46

Named The Highlander in 1851, became the Crown before 1858. Transferred to Rainham Mark 23/5/1938, name changed to Belisha Beacon 15/8/38

>1847-1938

King’s Head

Middle Street

?/36

Gone by 1920

>1754-1903<

Kings Arms

Westcourt Street

36/?

At River Row in 1851, 1858 and River Street in 1881, Kings Head in 1832. Closed 6 Feb 1935.

>1754-1935

Lord Nelson

Wood Street

9/47

At Upper Brook Street in 1858 & Upper Wood Street in 1862. Licence transferred to Spyglass & Kettle, Wigmore

>1808-1936

Navy Arms

High Street

50/14

Beer-house until 8 Nov 1867, then full licence. Became the Discharged Soldiers & Sailors Club c.1919 then the British Legion Club c. 1924. Opened 1839/40, Closed 29 Dec 1917

1839/40-1917

No. 2*

Manor Street

2/-

Beer-house at the junction of Manor Street and Sawyers Alley.

>1869-1875

Ordnance Arms/St Mary’s Barracks Canteen

‘Casemates’

 

Opened in 1844. Licensed canteen in ‘the casemates’ under the sign of the “Ordnance Arms.” St. Mary’s Barracks.

1844-1880<

Plow/Shepherd & Shepherdess/Beresford Arms

Wood Street

?/19

Became the Beresford Arms in 1893. Closed 30 Dec 1916

>1754-1916

Prince Consort

?

 

Probably in Chatham or Brompton Barracks

1857-1867

Prince of Orange/King of Prussia/King George V

Prospect Row

6, 1/1

Built as a public victualling house 1733 or soon after and known as the Prince of Orange by 1740. From c.1744 known as King of Prussia. Licensed from 1757. In 1865 the pub moved premises to corner of Prospect Row/Garden St. Became King George V in 1914.

c.1733-Present

Prince of Wales*

Westcourt Street

20/6

Not in 1851 Census

>1861-1905

Queen’s Head

High Street

1/1

Licence transferred to Wigmore 4th Feb 1935, remained as an unlicenced lodging house until 54?

>1703-1935 (1954)

Red White and Blue*

Westcourt Street

 

Not Licensed by 1872

>1858<

Royal Engineer/Royal Sapper*

Wood Street

11/51

The Royal Sapper in 1851. The pub closed on 6/3/1959 and moved to Twydall

>1851-1959

Royal Marine*

River Street

?/7

Renamed “Final Whistle” for 6 or 7 years in early 2000s 

>1851-Present

Shiprights Arms/Rose

Westcourt Street

12/22

Already established by 1754, licence transferred to Flying Saucer, Hempstead in 1951

>1754-1951

Sun In the Wood/Central Hotel

High Street

52

At 36 High Street in 1862 and 3 High Street in 1874, The Sun >1828-1840< Sun In The Wood became the Central about in 1893. Sometimes listed as 54 High St.

c.1695-1933

Swan

Wood Street

1

At Lower Wood Street in 1858, White Swan in 1815, 1828, 1832 & 1840. Licence transferred to Eastcourt Arms (The Sportsman), Twydall Mar 1954

>1754- 1954

Two Sawyers

High Street

19

Originally just called The Sawyers, opened in 1756. Sometimes at 10 High Street. Was closed for a few years during the 1990s 

1756-present

Unnamed Beerhouse*

Wood Street

 

Possibly Victory or East India Arms? Gone by 1870.

>1869

Victory*

Wood Street or Middle Street

 

Closed before 1872, Not licenced in 1872 so probably gone by then.

>1866-1867<

 

* Indicates a beer-house before 1870. Many of these later upgraded to full licenses.

 

47 pubs, 62 names

 
name

email *

comment

 

 

Please answer the spam prevention question below:
What is the sum of 6 + 9

 

 
All fields are required.
* Your e-mail address will not be made public.
Read our privacy policy

Comments

Excellent information. I am currently researching all of the pubs in Kent, the research continues of course, but the current information I have can be viewed at http://www.Dover-Kent.Com Any f.urther information would be very much appreciated.

Paul Skelton - 18/09/2014 19:42

How you can help
Eventsshow all